Back to Calendar
2016 July 4th Celebration
WHEN: Monday, July 4: 2:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. | WHERE: Canalside (Buffalo, NY)
Don your red, white and blue, and join us for our 2016 July 4th Celebration on the Waterfront supported by Premiere Partner, KeyBank!
Highlights will include food & beverage, live music (2:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m), and free children’s activities (2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.). Capping off the evening (starting at 10 p.m.) will be a breathtaking fireworks display presented for the 3rd year in a row by Russell J. Salvatore. Be sure to tune to Mix 96 for Patriotic music synced to the display!
Full List of Activities & Festivities:
- 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. : Rhythms at Canalside, On the Canals Lawn, free family drumming lessons
- 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. : NickleCITY Novelties KidZone: In the VIP tent, children’s activities, including:
- Face Painting
- Balloon Artist
- KidZone Kandy Korner
- Build-A-Bear Workshop
- Children’s Hip Hop Dance Instruction
- Spin Art
- 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. : Young Audiences of Western New York, On the Great Lawn, Creative Families art programming
- 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. : Buffalo & Erie County Public Library, On the Great Lawn “Star Spangled Books” children’s read along books and crafts
- 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. : Franklin LaVoie Puppet Wagon, On the Immigrant Steps
- Exhibit: 2:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m & Show: 3:30 p.m. – 4:15 p.m. : American Hawkeye Birds of Prey Exhibit & Show
- 2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. : George Scott Big Band
- 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. : Lehrer Dance
- 5:00 p.m. – 5:25 p.m. : Dance Spectrum
- 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. : Outer Circle Orchestra
- 7:00 p.m. – 7:25 p.m. : Dance Spectrum
- 7:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. : Tiger Chung Lee
- 9:15 p.m. – 9:45 p.m. : Flag Folding Ceremony & Honor Guard
- 10:00 p.m. : Fireworks presented by Russell J. Salvatore with music to coordinate being played on Mix 96.
Fourth of July FAQ’s
Where can I park?
There are many places to park or park and ride close by! Most people think the Naval & Military Park and the Erie Basin Marina are the only places to park at Canalside. But here is a tip, if you come by means of Washington Street or Michigan Avenue, there are hundreds of parking spaces in Cobblestone District, which is only short two short blocks away from Canalside! Specifically check out the lots along Perry Street, as well as the First Niagara Center Parking Ramp and the HARBORCENTER Parking Ramp. All of which have handicap accessible parking.
There is also the eco-friendly way to getting to Canalside or the Outer Harbor via Bike. Be aware though, the boat ferry only runs until 8:00 pm on the 4th of July so you will have to take Ohio Street after 8:00pm.
The Outer Harbor will also be open with 4th of July festivities with limited parking along Furhman Boulevard.
Want to be dropped right on the doorstep of Canalside? Park your car at any of the NFTA Metro Rail stops and take the Metro Rail down! Trains will be running every 20 minutes with service until midnight. (Make sure you are on the lookout for one of the newly Canalside wrapped trains!) Check out the full map of parking and our newly added site map in the link: https://www.canalsidebuffalo.com/visit-canalside
What am I allowed to bring?
You are allowed to bring any sort of chair or blanket to sit on. You are NOT allowed to bring any outside food or beverage into Canalside. Also, due to the large volume of the crowd and noise from the fireworks, no pets will be allowed at Canalside for the 4th of July.
How do I get into Canalside?
You can enter Canalside two ways, through the Whipple Truss Bridge (Marine Drive & Commercial Street) or through our entrance on Main Street & Marine Drive.
What food will be available?
We are going to have many options for food starting at 2 p.m. and running till 10 p.m. Full listing of vendors coming soon.
- Plus our very own restaurants will be open including The Dish. (The Dish will be the only place on site that you are able to get food or beverage with cash!)
- Note: Food trucks will be taking tickets and ticket sales will begin at 2 p.m.
Do I need tickets to purchase food and beverage?
Yes, you will need to buy tickets (or remember to bring yours from home that you have purchased at a 2016 Canalside Concert!) from one of our ticket tents to get food & beverage starting at 1:30 p.m. Ticket booths will be shut down at 10:15 pm.
Can food & beverage tickets from the 2016 free concert series be used?
Yes, they will be accepted. It will be vice versa as well and you are able to use extra tickets from 4th of July at the rest of the Free Thursday Canalside Concerts.
Will beer be served?
We will have beer available for purchase starting at 2 p.m. with sales ending about 10:15 pm. We will have two different areas to buy beer plus our own beer garden at The Dish will be serving.
Where can I watch the fireworks?
Any seat in the house will be perfect to see every firework at Canalside. You will also be hearing a special compilation of music put together by Russell Salvatore, this year’s sponsor of our fireworks. If you can’t make it down to Canalside, you can also view the fireworks from Wilkeson Pointe at the Outer Harbor. Don’t forget, to tune your radio into Mix 96 (the former WJYE 96.1) to listen to the special music that goes along with the fireworks!
What events will be available at the Outer Harbor throughout the day?
There will be a beer & wine tent, a food truck and fitness activities and more! Check out a full list of activates at www.OuterHarborBuffalo.com
Can docking reservations be made?
No, docking reservations cannot be made. It will be first come first serve.